A local citizens' movement to feed the hungry during #LockDownSA.
Please donate using the banking details below,
or contact us if you can assist with Food Supply
Account number: 62835246209
Account name: Tonya Khoury PTY LTD
SWIFT (International): FIRNZAJJXXX
Reference (optional): Food Parcel KZN
A COLLABORATION BETWEEN
Coming up on @SAfmRadio with @PhemeloMotene @ThisIsTonya talks #CoronaVirusUpdate https://t.co/wyq1cSS0WQ
@ThisIsAcumen 4 | #Visas & #InternationalTravel banned, #PriceCeilings on critical goods, #DrinkingHours, #Weddings & #Funerals limited #gatherings >100 prohibited. #BhekiCele issued a stern warning #ThisisNotADrill #Whatsapp helplines hit 1,5m subscribers. #Kudos @MYANC https://t.co/SArNLhbDpP
Coming up on @SAfmRadio woth @PhemeloMotene #lifeHappens https://t.co/dydj8fLJ7g
Coming up on @SAfmRadio woth @PhemeloMotene #lifeHappens https://t.co/fmGDSDOSj9
#coronavirus feels like a #ZombieApocalypse, yet we are repeatedly told this is “just a bad dose of flu”, most of us will survive and be good to go in two weeks or so”, so why are we locking down total countries? I must say I think I smell a rat. @ThisIsAcumen Report Pt12 https://t.co/PRyCH1XaJK
Coming up on @SAfmRadio woth @PhemeloMotene #lifeHappens https://t.co/IwKnFnjXv3
So here we are, the world economies are tanking, #toiletpaperwars, mass confusion and a conversation that produced over 671m results in one week. Yes 671 million! Here in SA over 1.2m people are talking about it in a 7 day period.
@ThisIsAcumen Report Pt11 https://t.co/9iBv6pMWdD
Coming up on @SAfmRadio woth @PhemeloMotene #lifeHappens https://t.co/KIamTh6TTj
Who We Are?
We started this project as a group of locals that were very concerned about the impact of CoVid 19 on the very rural parts of our country. Some have come and gone along the journey but the following people are currently working on #FeedRuralKZN:
Lungisani Thebe Nxumalo
A community development worker in Ward 5 Cogta, Deputy Chairperson of Lake Sibaya Conservation and Development Trust, member of Mabasa Traditional Council Authority with Tribal Council. Local citizen
Local Business Representative: Newcastle Distribution (PTY) LTD 2017/159358/07 T/A Devland Cash and Carry. We call him Salmaan and he would prefer not to have any publicity. Local citizen
Entrepreneur and business owner of Tonya Khoury PTY LTD 2019/5468/78 T/A Acumen Media. Local citizen
Where are we?
Many would recognise the name Sodwana Bay, a tourist destination for diving and fishing part of iSimangaliso Game Reserve. The closest town is called Mbazwana and is 10km from Sodwana. Mbazana is also a service point for Lake Sibaya and the surround areas of Mbazwana. Ward numbers 2,3,5 and 7 of Umhlabuyalingana Municipality
What is the problem at large?
We are trying to feed a large community in a rural area that was supported by social grants in the past. These people were hungry before lockdown. Most don’t work but those that do work, are crafters who make tourist gifts like baskets and carvings, wash cars etc. there is no tourism now and those that lived hand to mouth no longer are able to eat. (Not that they were really eating before to be fair). There are many generations living under one roof and close proximity is mandatory. Limited access to social media so only small amount of education has passed on about the preventative measures. There is no money for soap, let alone an education mechanism to teach people what to do.
What have we done so far?
We have received permissions with the kind help of Rudi Hillermann (Senior Manager, KZN Dept of Co-operative Governance & Trad Affairs) after seeing he saw a social media post. The assistance came from Themba Mlambi Special Projects Kzn. We have successfully achieved the following:
- Government, Police and the Tribal Council have agreed to allocate venues for packing and storage that are both secure and CoVid19 Friendly
- We have the volunteers for packing
- We have police security to man the packing stations and keep people from a health risk
- The spaces allocated can accommodate packaging of 10 000 units.
- Each unit (or Combo) contains the following:
- 10kg maize
- 10kg rice
- 10kg Samp
- 400g Soup
- 750ml Oil
- 70g Spice
- 1 Pack of Soap
The above combination should feed a family of a minimum of four for three weeks, maybe more.
- Logistics are arranged by the local police under the guidance of the Commander in Chief. Delivery will be done door to door rather than at one point to keep health risk to a minimum.
- We have put our goods on standby order awaiting funding
- We have been given authority to operate as “Special Services” in conjunction with the Police and the Tribe
- We have a social media campaign running that was boosted by radio and television broadcast (specifically ENCA prime time). We have 180 journalists that may be interested in carrying a good news story for a change!
- Currently all donations are being made to Tonya Khoury’s company account this is being managed by a bookkeeper and reconciled daily. To date we have collectively managed to get out at least 100 additional packs at the time of writing, however it is very important that we scale up this operation quickly, there are at least 10,000 people living here (conservative). They were hungry before lockdown.
- We have a database of phone numbers and ID numbers amounting to over 1200 people that have already asked for food that we cannot help. So we can vet these instantly
- We have 22 staff members in Johannesburg donated to help field calls and Whatsapp
- We have a current Database with approximately 1200 people
What do we need?
We urgently need payment for Food or a paid supply of food, we have got food orders on standby. We have got a quote to make 10,000 “Combos” at a price of R1,800,000 that can be delivered tomorrow if we have payment. We don’t even need that much money, anything you can give us we will put to good use. We have got a base price of R200 a unit but in bulk R180 will cover each unit.
We need educational videos or flyers to teach people about social distancing and hygiene IN ISIZULU, we tried and it is in the Annexures
We need water tankers to the four wards
We need WIFI hotspots in each ward to assist with keeping people informed and to relieve the boredom and possible breaking of the law.
If you have food or these resourced as an organisation, can be arranged to one central point in Mbazwana (two and half hours drive from Richards Bay / Four Hours from Durban) then we have no need for cash, we are all willing to get involved locally.